Here’s a new idea for Christmas 2015. Well when I say a new idea it’s an old one used by the Victorians and espoused by the good Mrs Beeton.
- Pick some sprigs of holly and carefully take the leaves from the stalks.
- Wipe them with a clean, dry cloth.
- Then place them in a dish by the fire for around 10 minutes to get them thoroughly dry but not shriveled. In those days everyone had a fire but if you don’t have one then near a radiator or heater should work too.
- Dip them into oiled butter.
- Then sprinkle them with some sugar and dry them before the fire. Keep them in a dry place as moisture can spoil their appearance.
- Use them to decorate puddings and desserts throughout the festive period and wow your friends with your ‘new/old’ idea!