How to become a knitter...
If you’ve always hankered after learning the art of knitting, then here’s how, and it’s especially easy to learn at this time of year when it’s a tad chilly to be outdoors.
Once you get the hang of it you’ll be able to knit and watch TV or FaceTime/Skype your friends and love ones or a whole host of other things! It’s multi-tasking at its best.
- To get started all you need are needles, wool and a willing teacher – ask your mum, aunt, a neighbour or friend as there is no better way of learning than one-to-one. There are also now lots of video tutorials online.
- Join a knitting club. There are lots around.
- First of all get the hang of casting own your wool, then learn how to kit and purl.
- Once you’ve master the basics you can move on to experimenting with textures and other techniques.
- Experiment with different types of wool, needle sizes and wool colours.
- Try increasing and decreasing stitches or creating a looser or tighter knit.
- Then have ago at knitting multi-coloured scarves for family and friends.
- Finally get yourself a pattern and try something more exciting like a jumper.
For knitting courses near you, check out the UK Hand Knitting Association website: www.ukhandknitting.com.