How to lay the perfect table
Planning a sumptuous spring Sunday lunch or a May Bank Holiday dinner party?
If you want to be sure your table looks the part, then here are a few handy hints:
- Cover your table with a crisp white linen tablecloth and a contrasting runner. If you go for a plain cloth then you can change your table décor by using different colour runners. It is more cost effective to do this and it also means you achieve a classic, stylish look.
- Lay your placemats and put the main course knife and fork either side of each mat, then lay the starter cutlery outside this.
- Pop the dessert spoon above the fork with its handle to the right.
- Water glasses should be place above the knives with wine glasses above and to the right. Champagne flutes should be placed to the left.
- Arrange fresh spring flowers as a centrepiece and add handwritten place cards for a personal touch.
- Place napkins on the side of the fork.