How to get your laundry in order
Wash day blues? You need a laundry room or cupboard…
If you haven’t the space for a separate laundry room for appliances and cleaning materials then you can create a compact area in a kitchen or bathroom cupboard with a little organisation.
If you can use part of your garage or an outbuilding as your utility space then this is a wonderful bonus to any home. For one thing it does mean you can close the door on your household chores and pretend they aren’t there!
If you have a laundry room, what a lovely luxury, then follow our tips below to get it just so:
• Ensure the room is well-ventilated if you are drying washing in there.
• Keep at least two laundry baskets to separate dirty and clean clothes – if you can have more you will be able to sort white and coloured items out for washing.
• To save space you can stack appliances on top of one another.
• If you have a tall but small space invest in an overhead airer.
• Ironing boards that can be folded and wall mounted or that fold away under work surfaces help save space too.
• Use slated shelving and cupboard doors to allow clothing and household linen stored in your laundry room to air.
• Keep household cleaning materials in baskets and on racks and hooks on the back of cupboard doors.
• Tidy away clothes horses and hang them from hooks or brackets on the wall.
• Makes sure all your tools, gadgets and household items have a home – this will make them easier to find and keep your laundry tidier.