Salvage, pool and recycle
Want to furnish your house with pre-loved items that have a story to tell or to tap into your community and live more sustainably?
Here are a few ways to do it:
- For furniture and interior or exterior features shopping in the Westcountry try your local reclamation or salvage yard. If you’re looking for items online then try Masco Walcot in Gloucestershire. It specialises in reclaimed flagstone and wood, stained glass and hardware. Call 01285 760866 or visit www.mascosalvage.com.
- For additional online assistance go for the directory www.salvo.co.uk. It lists dealers of architectural salvage, antiques and building materials, as well as listing auctions being held nationwide.
- If you need a bit of help with DIY or gardening or you’d just like to borrow someone’s tools then head for www.streetbank.com. It’s an online platform where members can help each other out by sharing skills and lending/borrowing items.
- Stop landfill sites from clogging up with unwanted belongings by joining www.freecycle.org. It stops approximately 500-600 tonnes of bric-a-brac ending up in landfill sites daily. It’s a great way to pass on anything you don’t need any more that is still useable to others.
- If you’re keen on eating fresh, healthy and even locally grown affordable food then take a look at www.foodcoops.org as it offers advice for communities on working together to set up their own food co-op.